當前位置

首頁 > 英語學習 > 英語閱讀技巧 > 雙語美文:卡車司機

雙語美文:卡車司機

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 8.36K 次

My name is Bruce Van Natta, and I love to work on trucks.

雙語美文:卡車司機

我的名字是Bruce Van Natta,我喜歡以卡車司機爲職業。


I'm a self-employed diesel mechanic;

我是一個柴油機師個體戶


also a family man living out my power truck dreams and providing for my wife and four children.

我也是一個丈夫和爸爸,努力追求自己的動力卡車夢,努力掙錢供養妻子和四個孩子。


I never gave a second thought to the danger of working on engines that weigh thousands of pounds,

雖然每天都與重達幾千磅的機械爲伍,我從來沒想過這份工作會有什麼危險。


until November 16, 2006. I was working on a Peterbilt logging truck about an hour from

直到2006年11月16日,我駕駛着一輛彼得比爾特測井工程車


The guy I was working with, who drives the truck, asked me if I would look at one more leak before I left.

跟我合作的那個開卡車的哥們問我能不能再檢查一下車的狀況再走。


So, if you could picture one of these great big Peterbilt trucks, I slid under the front big bumper feet first.

如果你能想象那種巨大的彼得比爾特卡車,可以想一下,我鑽到車子前段巨大的保險槓底下的情景。



The front axle was jacked up and the right front wheel removed.

車前軸卡住了,我把右前側的輪胎卸了下來。


I said to him, "You jump up inside and see what the temperature of the engine is."

我對他說,“你鑽到車子下面去看看引擎的溫度如何。”



The axle is right across my chest at this point, maybe an inch or two above me.

車前軸就在我的胸口上方,離我只有一兩英寸的距離。


The 20-ton capacity jack holding up the truck, shot out from its position.

卡車本來被一個20噸的千斤頂支撐着,這時千斤頂卻突然滑落出來。



This 10,000 to 12,000 pounds of weight that's on this axle, came down across my mid-section like a blunt guillotine , and nearly crushed me in half.

車軸頓時壓下來,這輛卡車的重量大約有1萬至1萬2千磅,像一把頓口的大鍘刀一樣壓在我的胸口上,差點把我劈成了兩半。


I tasted the blood in my throat when it fell on me.

我感到喉嚨裏一陣熱流,很快就嚐到了鮮血的甜腥味。



I looked down and could see there was less than three inches of space between the bottom of the axle and the cement.

我向旁邊看去,發現車軸的底部距離水泥地面只有不到三英尺的距離。


I knew the thickest part of my body was maybe two inches thick.

我的身體已經被壓扁了,我想最厚的地方也只有兩英寸左右。


I begged the man that jacked up the truck to get me out from under it.

我央求那個兄弟把卡車搬起來,讓我能從下面脫身。



He didn't want to because he could tell that I might have a broken back and I did.

他說不能這麼做,因爲我的脊柱肯定骨折了,後來證實的確如此。


The vertebrae in my spine were cracked the width of the axle.

我的脊柱已經斷成一段一段的,和車軸差不多寬。


I tried to pull myself out from under the truck.

我竭力想把自己從卡車底下拉出來。



It was the most incredible pain you can think of.

足以想象我的身體承受着怎樣劇烈的疼痛。



I got myself to where my head was sticking out from under the front bumper.

我努力往前伸,終於腦袋從保險槓底下鑽了出來。


The man I had been working with was on his knees next to my body.

開卡車的夥計正雙膝跪地趴在我身邊。



I could faintly hear him saying, 'I'm sorry. I'm sorry.'

我能隱約聽到他說着“我很抱歉,我很抱歉。”


I was definitely on the edge of life and death.

我知道自己正在生死關頭。



There were two thoughts in my head.

我的腦子裏有兩個想法。



One was, 'Shut your eyes and give up and die. You can rest peacefully.' 其中一個念頭說

,“閉上眼睛,放棄抵抗,接受死亡吧。你可以平靜的休息了。”


The other voice in my head was much quieter and not much more than a whisper,

另一個聲音聲音小得多,近乎耳語,



'If you want to live, you're going to have to fight, and you are going to have to fight hard.'

“如果你想活下去,你就要爲生命抗爭,你要拼盡全力去抗爭,”


The next thing I knew, my spirit went back down into my body.

這時我發現,我的身體被注入了新的活力,


I was conscious while I was flown on a life flight to the hospital.

當我被搬到一輛救護直升機上,送往醫院的時候,我一直保持着清醒。



Doctors there doubted I would survive the next few hours.

醫生們檢查了我的狀況,他們懷疑我可能撐不過幾個小時。



My ribs were broken, my pancreas and spleen crushed, and several major arteries had been severed.

我的肋骨斷了,胰臟和脾臟破裂,還有好幾處大動脈破裂。


We found out from doctors later, I had five places that major arteries were completely severed.

事後我從醫生那裏得知,我身上有五條大動脈徹底斷了。



I found out from the doctors there was a medical study done in 2001.

我還聽醫生們說,在2001年曾有一項醫學研究。



According to that study, by the University of South California, they used my case and compared it against that study.

這項研究是有南加州大學進行的,他們引用我的病例來證明自己的研究理論。



They can't find anyone else in the world that has lived with five major arteries being severed.

他們說世界上找不到其他任何一個人,身上有五處動脈斷裂,還能活下來。


I should have bled to death in a few minutes.

我本可能在幾分鐘內流血至死。



I stayed in the hospital for over two months and survived five major surgeries.

我在醫院裏躺了超過兩個月,接受了五場手術,活了下來。


After nine long months of surgeries and hospital stays, I was finally able to feed myself and gained weight, back up to 170 lbs.

我在醫院裏住了九個月,接受了無數次手術,終於開始恢復。


When I returned for testing, radiology reports and doctors confirmed that I had almost nine feet of small intestine .

我回醫院複查的時候拍了個片子,醫生們告訴我,我的小腸幾乎有9英尺長。



They said the small intestines were twice as good as normal.

醫生說,我的小腸的功能是普通人的兩倍.



They work just as if I had all of it; absorb the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients I take into my body.

如此強大的小腸,我想我一定是照單全收了:我的身體把我吃進肚子裏的維生素,礦物質和營養成分全都吸收了。


Miracle after miracle, life was just showing up. He is a miracle worker.

經歷了一個又一個的奇蹟之後,我覺得生活正向我證明,它是一個創造奇蹟的大師!