双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第15章:离开河谷(1)
15 Leaving the Valley
15 离开河谷Leaving the valley was harder than anything I had done before.
离开河谷,比我之前做过的任何事情都要艰难许多。I remembered the tapa my grandMother used to recite: 'No Pashtun leaves his land of his own sweet will.
我还记得祖母以前经常背诵的一首拓帕:“普什图人不会自愿离开他的土地。
Either he leaves from poverty or he leaves for love.'
若要离开,不是因为贫穷,就是因为爱。”Now we were being driven out for a third reason the tapa writer had never imagined – the Taliban.
现在,我们因为诗人从来没有想象过的第三个被迫离开的理由——塔利班。Leaving our home felt like having my heart ripped out.
离开我们的家,让我觉得心如刀割。I stood on our roof looking at the mountains, the snow-topped Mount Elum where Alexander the Great had reached up and touched Jupiter.
我站在屋顶眺望远山,亚历山大大帝曾登上白雪覆盖的埃勒姆山顶,在那里碰触到了木星。I looked at the trees all coming into leaf.
我看到了树木正在萌芽。The fruit of our apricot tree might be eaten by someone else this year.
今年,我们家那棵杏树的果实会被其他人采摘吧。Everything was silent, pin-drop silent.
世界悄然静寂,就连一根针掉在地上都能听得见。There was no sound from the river or the wind; even the birds were not chirping.
河流和春风都静默了,甚至连鸟儿都停止了鸣叫。I wanted to cry because I felt in my heart I might never see my home again.
我想哭,因为我从心底感觉到,我可能再也见不到我的家了。The documentary makers had asked me how I would feel if one day I left Swat and never came back.
纪录片的制作人曾经问我,如果有一天我要离开斯瓦特,永远不再归来,我会有什么感觉。At the time I had thought it was a stupid question, but now I saw that everything I could not imagine happening had happened.
当时,我认为那是个愚蠢的问题。但现在我发现,所有那些我无法想象会发生的事情,都发生了。