雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第15章:離開河谷(1)
15 Leaving the Valley
15 離開河谷Leaving the valley was harder than anything I had done before.
離開河谷,比我之前做過的任何事情都要艱難許多。I remembered the tapa my grandMother used to recite: 'No Pashtun leaves his land of his own sweet will.
我還記得祖母以前經常背誦的一首拓帕:“普什圖人不會自願離開他的土地。
Either he leaves from poverty or he leaves for love.'
若要離開,不是因為貧窮,就是因為愛。”Now we were being driven out for a third reason the tapa writer had never imagined – the Taliban.
現在,我們因為詩人從來沒有想象過的第三個被迫離開的理由——塔利班。Leaving our home felt like having my heart ripped out.
離開我們的家,讓我覺得心如刀割。I stood on our roof looking at the mountains, the snow-topped Mount Elum where Alexander the Great had reached up and touched Jupiter.
我站在屋頂眺望遠山,亞歷山大大帝曾登上白雪覆蓋的埃勒姆山頂,在那裡碰觸到了木星。I looked at the trees all coming into leaf.
我看到了樹木正在萌芽。The fruit of our apricot tree might be eaten by someone else this year.
今年,我們家那棵杏樹的果實會被其他人採摘吧。Everything was silent, pin-drop silent.
世界悄然靜寂,就連一根針掉在地上都能聽得見。There was no sound from the river or the wind; even the birds were not chirping.
河流和春風都靜默了,甚至連鳥兒都停止了鳴叫。I wanted to cry because I felt in my heart I might never see my home again.
我想哭,因為我從心底感覺到,我可能再也見不到我的家了。The documentary makers had asked me how I would feel if one day I left Swat and never came back.
紀錄片的製作人曾經問我,如果有一天我要離開斯瓦特,永遠不再歸來,我會有什麼感覺。At the time I had thought it was a stupid question, but now I saw that everything I could not imagine happening had happened.
當時,我認為那是個愚蠢的問題。但現在我發現,所有那些我無法想象會發生的事情,都發生了。