英語口語練習小對話 第899期:不要惹是生非
A: What are you thinking?
你在想什麼?
B: I’m wondering if I should see him or not.
我不知道該不該見他。
A: Don’t you? No result, you know it clearly. Father will never agree to such marriage. So forget him, don’t wake a sleeping dog any more.
千萬不要!你很清楚沒有結果的,父親是不會同意這樣的婚事的。所以,忘卻他把,別再惹是生非了。
B: I know that our relationship has no result and father doesn’t like him at all.
我知道我們的關係沒有結果,父親一點都不喜歡他。
A: So do you think that to see him has any significance.
那你覺得見他還有意義嗎?
do not wake a sleeping dog
1. 解詞釋義
Don’t wake a sleeping dog的字面意思是“不要把正在睡覺的狗弄醒”,比喻為“不要惹是生非”“不要自找麻煩”的意思。其英文解釋為:avoid stirring up trouble。其反義詞則是wake a sleeping dog(自找麻煩)。
2. 拓展範例
e.g. I don't like a lot of bickering and like to wake a sleeping dog.
我自己並不喜歡常和別人爭吵,不喜歡惹是生非。
e.g. Grandfather had been a quiet old man who never woke a sleeping dog.
祖父是個沉默寡言的老人,從不惹是生非。
e.g. I always had to bear the blame for my naughty son, who used to wake a sleeping dog at school.
我每每得代淘氣的兒子陪不是,他常常在學校裏惹是生非。
e.g. My brother is ill-tempered, and likes to waking a sleeping dog.
我弟弟的脾氣很暴躁,常喜歡在外面惹是生非。
1. agree to something:同意某事
e.g. I'm afraid that either of them will not agree to this arrangement.
我擔心他們兩人都不會同意這樣的安排的。
e.g. All right, let's agree to differ on this topic.
好吧,我們在這個問題上保留各自的觀點。
2. not…at all:一點也不
e.g. I do not like to watch TV at all.
我一點兒也不喜歡看電視。
e.g. She does not care about her husband at all.
她根本不關心她的丈夫。
e.g. He is such a courageous man that he does not fear death at all.
他是一個非常勇敢的人,所以一點也不怕死。
e.g. I make nothing of this statement, I cannot follow it at all.
我不理解這個發言,一點也聽不懂。
3. have some significance:有意義
e.g. The date had a double significance.
那個日子有雙重意義。
So do you think that to see him has any significance.
要點解析:這是含有賓語從句的複合句。主句是:so do you think,賓語從句是that to see him has any significance,其中that是引導詞,to see him是動作不定式做主語。
1. 你們的戀愛是沒有結果的。
翻譯: Your love relationship has no result.
2. 爭吵是沒有意義的。
翻譯: To make a quarrel has no significance.