迷你對話學地道口語第2053期:對......評價
情景對話:
A: Cleverness and diligence are what the teacher takes my measure.
聰明、勤奮好學,這是老師對我的評價。
B: You're so lucky. Parents must be very glad when they know this.
你真走運,你父母知道這些話,會很高興的。
A: I'm not so certain. My parents always want me to be better.
那也不一定,我父母總是希望我能更好。
B: In my opinion, you've been hunky-dory.
在我看來,你已經挺不錯了。
一, 詞海拾貝
take one’s measure
exp. To evaluate someone or something; to judge the qualities of someone or something. (對某人或某物加以評估,評價某人或某物,評斷某人的品德,評斷某物的質量)
e.g. The boss wants to take the new intern's measure by having him complete this project on his own.
I didn't mind your dad's questions, I know he was just taking my measure.
我不介意爸爸的問題,我知道他只是想試探下我是否懂了。
Be sure to take the car's measure with a test drive before you buy it.
在你買車子之前,一定要測試一下驅動,看看它的性能如何。
二, 語彙積累
1. hunky-dory:很棒的,極好的
e.g. His girlfriend is hunky-dory, getting on nicely with almost everyone.
他的女朋友挺不錯的,跟誰都合得來。
e.g. Everything is just hunky-dory here.
這裏一切都頂呱呱。
2. in one’s opinion:就某人看來……,在某人看來……,某人認為……
e.g. In my opinion, your new coat is not worth so much money.
我認為你的外套不值得這麼多錢。
e.g. In my opinion, he is incompetent to practise medicine and may be endangering patients'lives.
我認為,他不具有行醫的能力,甚至可能危害病人的生命。