當前位置

首頁 > 英語學習 > 英語閱讀技巧 > 雙語美文:我的朋友黛西

雙語美文:我的朋友黛西

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.28W 次

Getting out of the back of the truck I stood in at a ranch home

雙語美文:我的朋友黛西

從卡車後面翻身下車,我來到這座牧場裏的木屋前


that was set back from the dirt road

木屋蜷縮在那條泥濘的公路里側


just enough to be completely shaded by the biggest oak tree I had ever seen.

正好被一株橡樹投下的樹陰完全籠罩,那是我見過的最大的橡樹


The house was square with a rusty old screened in porch that went all the way around.

木屋四面環繞着一圈封閉式的門廊,鏽跡斑斑,衰朽不堪


I found out later it was built around 1860 and was completely constructed with square nails.

據我後來得知,這座木屋大約是在1860年建造的,全部用方頭釘建成


To the left was a very impressive carriage barn with several vacant horse stalls.

木屋的左邊是一座龐大的馬車車廂,旁邊還有幾個空空的馬廄


I could tell by the ware on the wood of these stalls

從馬廄的木料上被磨損的痕跡我能看出


that at some time in the past

在過去的某個時候


this now quiet barn was a very active and important part of life on this ranch.

這座如今寂靜無聲的穀倉曾經充滿喧囂,在牧場的生活中扮演着自己重要的角色


The trunk of the oak tree was the corner of a fenced off section, out from one of the stalls strolls a huge cow.

橡樹的樹幹正好在一連串牛棚的拐角,這些牛棚邊緣被柵欄圍了起來,一隻身形巨大的奶牛在牛棚外面閒庭散步。


It was the biggest animal I had ever seen.

它是我見過的體型最大的動物。


This cow comes right towards me as if we knew each other.

奶牛徑直朝我走過來,就像我們倆很熟悉似的


I step back away from the fence thinking what it wants.

我向後退步,離開圍籬,想着它想要幹什麼


She lifted her head enough to get it between the top and second fence rail

它把頭擡起來,正好從圍欄最高一格和第二格中間的縫隙裏探出頭來


which was good because she was still moving forward

這樣挺好,因爲它還在向前移動


when she bumped the fence and it strained and squeaked trying to hold her as she pushed that enormous head towards me

奶牛那隻龐大的腦袋還是直直對着我,它開始用頭撞圍欄,圍欄被撞變形,發出吱吱嘎嘎的聲音,竭力阻攔前者。

.

Rodger said that's daisy Rodger

告訴我,那頭母牛名叫Daisy


Seemed like everything daisy did was in slow motion

似乎Daisy的一舉一動都是以慢動作進行的


and I was fascinated by the gentle animal...

我對這隻溫柔的動物着了迷


We became close friends over the next couple of years

在之後的幾年中,我們變成了親密的朋友


and she marked the beginning of my life long affection love and understanding of animals.

以它爲起點,我的心裏生出對動物的關愛和理解,這種關愛和理解延續了一輩子


Over time, I managed to explore every inch of that place.

過了一段時間,我已經把牧場周圍的每一寸土地都探索了一遍


Today I am proud of the knowledge I have about the place that I call home.

如今,對這個我稱爲家園的地方我積累了百科全書般的知識,對此我感到驕傲


Well a couple summers went by

幾個夏天匆匆過去


and Kenny asked me to go with him to help his brother over at the ranch of course I went.

Kenny請我跟他的哥哥一起到農場那頭去,幫忙幹農活。我欣然前往。


While Kenny was talking with Roger, I went to hang out with Daisy.

Kenny和Roger交談的時候,我走去跟Daisy一起玩耍


Standing at the pen I though how strange.

站在圍欄邊,我心想,這多麼奇怪呀。


For the last two years since we met, whenever I was around the ranch she was at the fence watching me.

我們相識已經兩年了,可是每次我走到圍欄邊,它都會跟着走到圍欄邊來看着我。


I looked for the gate to be opened but it wasn't

我等着它撞開欄門走出來,它卻遲遲沒有出現。


so I went into the barn and there she was,

我走進穀倉,它果然在那


I walk up talking to her and shaking the bucket of apples

我走近它,跟它說話,還搖晃着手中的一桶蘋果,想吸引它的注意


but she didn't move

它卻一動不動


Daisy's head was stuffed into the corner of the barn like she was frightened.

Daisy正把腦袋埋在穀倉的角落裏,似乎受到了驚嚇。


I drop the pail thinking something is wrong and I have to tell Roger.

我放下裝蘋果的桶,心想一定是出了什麼事,我得告訴Roger。


I ran as fast as I could out the barn accost the pen

我以最快的速度跑出穀倉,穿過馬廄


and normally I would go over the fence

通常我會從圍欄上翻過去


but I was in far too big of a hurry

但此刻我得趕時間


so I dove on me belly and slid right under the thing.

於是便趴在地上,從圍欄下面的縫隙爬了過去


I ran around to the front of the house and up on the porch.

我跑到房子正面,登上門廊


Where's everybody I yell as my eyes searched the house in seconds.

我邊用眼睛迅速掃視房屋各處,邊衝四處喊叫,想找到其他人


They’re not in the house maybe the fruit shed!!!

他們不在屋裏,或許在果棚裏?


As I leap off the porch on the other side of the house,

我跑到房間另一邊,從門廊上跳下來


The vet I see explains what is wrong with Daisy and sends me in to a fright before my feet even hit the ground.

在我的腳到達果棚之前,已經有一股恐懼襲上我的心頭,因爲我看見一股獸醫,這讓我明白了Daisy到底出了什麼問題。


Temporarily hidden in a cloud of dust I hear the silence of death.

天上是淺灰色的烏雲,我聽到雲中傳來死神的寂靜之聲。


I took off for home, about an hour's walk through the woods

我從牧場跑了出去,在樹林裏徐徐步行,大概度過了一個小時的時間


but it took me all day for some reason.

但理清思緒卻花了我一天的時間


I remember walking in the house well past dark.

我記得,直到天擦黑的時候,我才走回房裏。


I knew my mom would be worried sick.

我知道母親一定爲我着急壞了


I was never home past dark without telling her.

我從沒這樣,在不告訴她的情況下天黑纔回家過。


Mom and I had a deal.

我跟母親有一個約定


I could leave in the morning and be gone all day without checking in.

我可以早晨就出門,一整天都不回家


but I had to be home by dark without fail.

但是我一定得在天黑前回家


When I came in the house, my mom was standing in the kitchen with her arms out

當我回到家裏時,母親正站在廚房裏,兩隻胳膊朝我伸過來


and I broke down in tears while she hugged me.

我的淚水奪眶而出,母親抱住了我


Mom said Kenny came by and told her what had happened.

母親說Kenny來過,把事情經過都告訴了母親


The next thing I know it's morning.

後來如何我不記得了,只記得第二天早上


For the first time in my life

有生以來第一次


I entered the day with a huge hole in my heart

新一天來臨時,我感到心裏有一個巨大的黑洞


that only a day before wasn't there.

就在一天以前那個黑洞還不在那兒。


That's when I was acquainted with the feelings of loss.

直到此刻,我才明白什麼是失去的感覺


Over the years I have acquired many of these holes

多年之後,我的心上已經有了許多這樣的黑洞


and before my time is up their will be plenty more.

到我大限之期到來之前,我的心上會有更多黑洞


Some of the lessons life taught me come from love and happiness

生活給我的啓示中,有些來自愛和幸福


and some come from love and sadness.

還有一些來自愛和悲傷


I think they are equally important teachers.

無論是哪一種,我想它們都是重要的人生導師


翻譯:小木