當前位置

首頁 > 基礎學英語 > 零基礎學英語 > Big cheese是“大奶酪”?關於食物的俚語你知道哪些?

Big cheese是“大奶酪”?關於食物的俚語你知道哪些?

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.4W 次

Using these 8 funny idioms about food will make you a big cheese. You will find the examples and explanations of idioms under the infographic.

Big cheese是“大奶酪”?關於食物的俚語你知道哪些?

使用這8個關於食物的有趣習語會使你成爲一個大人物。您將在信息圖表下找到習語的示例和解釋。


1. Egghead

1.書呆子

a very studious person, intellectually gifted in the field of academics, a very intelligent person

十分用功,在某學術領域有天賦之人


I think Jane will do well in her finals. She has always been a kind of egghead from elementary school all the way through college.

我相信,簡在總決賽一定會有出色的表現。從小學到大學,她一直都很努力。


Son: Mum, one of the kids in school called me an egghead today.

兒子:媽媽,學校裏的一個孩子叫我書呆子。


Mum: Why did they call you that?

媽媽:爲什麼他們那麼叫你?


Son: I think it’s because the other kids think I am really smart. They said that I’m always reading books and that I always have the right answer to the teacher’s questions.

兒子:我想是因爲其他孩子覺得我很聰明。他們說我總是看書,對老師的問題我總是有正確的答案。


Mum: Well, you are very intelligent. Next time somebody calls you an egghead just reply back to them saying, “I know” and walk away with your head held high.

媽媽:嗯,你很聰明。下次有人叫你書呆子的時候,你只要回答他們說,“我知道”,然後昂首挺胸走開。


2. Big cheese

2.大人物

an important and influential person

十分關鍵有影響力的人


Do you know Peter? He’s a big cheese at the company, he may help you to get a good job there.

你認識皮特麼?他是公司裏舉足輕重的人物,也許能幫你在這謀得一份工作。


Mary: I had a terrible day at work today.

瑪麗:我今天工作糟透了。


Alice: Why?

愛麗絲:爲什麼?


Mary: Ever since Tom got his promotion he thinks he is the big cheese of the company. All he does is order us around all day.

瑪麗:自從湯姆升職後,他就認爲他是公司的大人物。他所做的就是命令我們整天呆在這裏。


Alice: Can you talk to him about it?

愛麗絲:你能和他談談嗎?


Mary: I don’t think so, he is too influential now. He could fire me if I do something he doesn’t like.

瑪麗:我不這麼認爲,他現在太有影響力了。如果我做了他不喜歡的事,他可以解僱我。


3. Couch potato

3.懶人

a very lazy person who watches too much TV

一個愛看電視的懶人


My uncle is a couch potato, you never see him without the remote control in his hand.

我的叔叔極爲懶惰,遙控器整日不離手。


Jenny: Where is Andrew? He said he would join us for lunch today.

珍妮:安德魯在哪裏?他說他今天要和我們一起吃午飯。


Mary: I went to pick him up earlier and he was in his pyjamas watching Star Wars. I found him in the same spot yesterday when I went to hang out with him. I don’t think he has moved from that couch all weekend.

瑪麗:我早點去接他,他穿着睡衣看《星球大戰》。我昨天去的時候發現他在同一個地方


Jenny: He is so lazy, it is unbelievable! He’s a couch potato, he needs to go outside and enjoy life.

珍妮:他太懶了,真是難以置信!他是個懶人,他需要出去享受生活。


Mary: You’re right, he’s spending too much time on that couch watching television.

瑪麗:你說得對,他在沙發上看電視的時間太多了。


4. Tough cookie

4.堅定的人

a very determined person, durable and robust person, a person who is difficult to deal with

一個非常堅定,固執的,難以相處的人


There is a tough cookie on the phone, he insists to talk to the manager, shall I put him through?

電話那邊的人堅持要跟經理講話,我能這麼做嗎?


Mother 1: How is Sarah?

媽媽1:莎拉怎麼樣?


Mother 2: Sarah is great but she is very busy. She is a full-time student and working 30 hours a week to pay off her student loans. I don’t know how she has time for it all.

母親2:薩拉很好,但她很忙。她是個全日制學生,每週工作30個小時來償還她的學生貸款。我不知道她怎麼有時間來做這些事。


Mother 1: Wow! She really is a tough cookie! She has a plan and she’s working as hard as she can to reach her goal.

媽媽1:哇!她真是個堅強的人!一旦她有一個計劃,她正在盡最大努力達到她的目標。


Mother 2: Yes, she is. We are very proud of her.

母親2:是的,她是。我們爲她感到驕傲。


5. Top banana

5.大老闆

leader, boss, the chief person in a group, the head of a project

領導、老闆、小組裏的核心人物、項目的關鍵人物


I don’t know when we’ll finish, ask Jack, he’s the top banana here.

我不知道什麼時候完成,問問傑克吧,他是這裏的負責人。


John: Our team is in disarray.

約翰:我們隊混亂不堪。


Jeremy: What do you mean?

傑里米:你什麼意思?


John: We have no order, no aims and no direction. We need a leader, a top banana that can motivate the team and drive us to the finish line.

約翰:我們沒有秩序,沒有目標,沒有方向。我們需要一個領導者,一個能激勵團隊並把我們帶到終點線的頂級人物。


Jeremy: You’re right. I think you should be the leader. You’re organised, ambitious, a team player and intelligent. I know the rest of the team will agree. What do you think?

傑里米:你說得對。我認爲你應該是領導。你有組織,雄心勃勃,有團隊精神,聰明。我知道其他人會同意的。你怎麼認爲?


John: I would be honoured to be the top banana of this team!

約翰:我很榮幸能成爲這個隊的領隊人!


6. Bad apple

6.壞傢伙

troublemaker, criminal

惹麻煩的人,罪犯


He’s a real bad apple. If I were you, I wouldn’t let my daughter go out with him.

他不是什麼好人。我要是你,絕不會讓女兒跟這種人談戀愛。


George: Where is Kevin nowadays?

喬治:凱文在哪裏呢?


Paul: He’s doing time in prison. He was arrested last year.

保羅:他在監獄裏工作。他去年被捕了。


George: I’m not surprised.

喬治:我一點也不驚訝。


Paul: Why?

喬治:爲什麼?


George: He was always the bad apple of the family. They were never able to discipline him whereas his sister was always so good.

喬治:他一直是家裏的壞傢伙。他們沒法管教他,而他的妹妹總是那麼好。


Paul: You’re right. I remember in school he was always getting in trouble for fighting and poor attendance but his sister was so friendly and well mannered. She was completely different to Kevin. He really is the bad apple of that family, his poor parents.

保羅:你說得對。我記得在學校裏,他總是因爲打架和出勤率低而惹上麻煩,但他的妹妹很友好,很有禮貌。她和凱文完全不同。他真是那個家庭的壞孩子,他可憐的父母。


7. Sour grapes

7.酸葡萄

pretending to dislike something that you can’t have

吃不到葡萄說葡萄酸


The losers say they don’t mind that they couldn’t win the cup, but I’m sure this is only sour grapes.

雖然失敗者總說自己不介意與獎盃失之交臂,但是我確定他們只是吃不到葡萄說葡萄酸。


Anna: Did you hear that Kim lost her job?

安娜:你聽說金失業了嗎?


Melissa: Really? I saw her yesterday and she didn’t say anything.

梅麗莎:真的嗎?我昨天見到她,她什麼也沒說。


Anna: She’s pretending that doesn’t care that she was fired but it’s just a bunch of sour grapes.

安娜:她假裝不在乎她被炒了,但那只是一堆風涼話。


Melissa: She loved that job of course she cares.

梅利莎:她喜歡那份工作,當然她在乎。


Anna: I know but she wants everyone to think she is happy and didn’t like her job anyway.

安娜:我知道,但她想讓每個人都覺得她很開心,反正也不喜歡她的工作。


8. Lemon law

8.僞劣商品賠償法

an American law that protects those who buy defective cars or other consumer goods

用來保護那些購買到有缺陷的汽車或其他殘次消費品的美國法律


Unfortunately, his new car had an engine defect, but he received a complete refund in accordance with the lemon law.

真不幸,他的新汽車引擎有缺陷,但是根據僞劣商品賠償法,他將收到全額退款。


Corinne: I can’t believe it! The sound on my new television isn’t working.

科林:我真不敢相信!我新電視機上的聲音壞了。


Eli:  How did you break your new television already? You have only had it for three days.

伊萊:你的新電視怎麼壞的?你買來才三天。


Corinne: I think it was sold to me like this, I couldn’t have broken it already.

科林:我想它是這樣賣給我的,我不可能已經把它弄壞了。


Eli: If they sold you a faulty television set, you can get your money back.

伊萊:如果他們賣給你一臺有毛病的電視機,你可以拿回你的錢。


Corinne: How can I get my money back?

科林:我怎樣才能拿回我的錢?


Eli: In accordance to the lemon law you must be given a complete refund if you were sold a faulty product.

伊萊:根據僞劣商品賠償法,如果你出售的產品有問題,你必須全額退款。


Corinne: That’s brilliant, I’ll contact my lawyer now.

科林:太好了,我現在就聯繫我的律師。


9. A bun in the oven

9.胎兒

this expression is used when somebody is pregnant.

用來描述某人懷孕。 


I have a bun the oven, the baby is due in 7 months.

我懷孕了,胎兒預計七月出生。


They’ve got a bun in the oven! This will be their first baby.

他們有孩子了!這將是他們的第一個孩子。


Zoe: I went to the doctor today.

佐伊:我今天去看醫生了。


Mia: Why did you go to the doctor?

米婭:你爲什麼去看醫生?


Zoe: I thought I had a virus as I haven’t been feeling very well. But the doctor said it wasn’t a virus.

佐伊:我以爲我感染了病毒,因爲我感覺不太好。但醫生說這不是病毒。


Mia: So what is wrong with you?

米婭:那你怎麼了?


Zoe: I’m pregnant!

佐伊:我懷孕了!


Mia: Congratulations! You’ve got a bun in the oven! That’s fantastic news!

米婭:恭喜你!你有孩子啦!真是個好消息!


10. Bring home the bacon

10.養家餬口

this idiom describes a person who earns a living or provides financial support to the home.

“養家餬口”這個成語形容的是一個人靠謀生或爲家庭提供經濟支持。


I work hard so I can support my family, I bring home the bacon.

我努力工作以養家餬口,我是家庭經濟支柱。


You need to find a good job and bring home the bacon.

你應該找份工作,養家餬口。


Lucas: I want to quit my job, but I can’t.

盧卡斯:我想辭職,但我不能。


Noah: Why can’t you quit your job?

諾亞:你爲什麼不能辭職?


Lucas: I need that job to support my family, they are relying on my income.

盧卡斯:我需要那份工作來養家餬口,他們靠的是我的收入。


Noah: You bring home the bacon, that must be a lot of pressure.

諾亞:你養家餬口,那肯定有很大的壓力。


Lucas: It is. I would love to quit my job right now, but I know I should find a new job first.

盧卡斯:是的。我很想現在就辭職,但我知道我應該先找一份新工作。


11. Cheesy

11.庸俗的


describes something that is tacky, silly, inauthentic or cheap.

描述一些俗氣、愚蠢、不真實或廉價的東西。


The novel received terrible reviews and was even said to be cheesy as many critics thought it was too predictable.

這部小說受到了糟糕的評論,甚至被認爲是庸俗的,因爲許多評論家認爲它太可預測了。


That cliche was so cheesy and expected.

那陳詞濫調太俗氣了,令人期待。


Jack: How was the new movie?

傑克:新電影怎麼樣?


Luke: It was OK, I thought it could have been better though.

盧克:沒關係,不過我想可能會更好。


Jack: What do you mean?

傑克:你什麼意思?


Luke: I just thought it was really predictable and cheesy. I knew what the characters were going to say before they said it and it just seemed very forced and fake.

盧克:我只是覺得這很容易預測,而且很俗氣。我知道角色在說之前會說些什麼,而且看起來非常強迫和虛假。


Jack: That is disappointing.

傑克:真令人失望。


Luke: It is, the movie was full of cliches and the storyline was so obvious and has been done before so many times.

盧克:是的,這部電影充滿了陳詞濫調,故事情節也很明顯,而且之前已經拍過很多次了。


Jack: I won’t be going to watch that movie then.

傑克:那我就不去看那部電影了。


Luke: I wouldn’t recommend it.

盧克:我不推薦。


12. Full of beans

12.興高采烈,精力充沛


this describes somebody that is excited about something or very energetic and lively.

這描述的是一個對某件事感到興奮或精力充沛而活潑的人。


The kids were full of beans after the birthday party.

生日晚會結束後,孩子們都吃飽了。


The supporters were full of beans at the match, they chanted, sang and even danced when their team scored the winning goal.

球迷們在比賽中都是精力充沛,當他們的球隊攻入制勝球時,他們高呼口號、唱歌甚至跳舞。


Maggie: How is Kevin?

瑪吉:凱文怎麼樣?


Peter: Kevin is great, he is about to start college and is excited to live on campus.

彼得:凱文很好,他即將開始上大學,很高興能住在校園裏。


Maggie: I didn’t know he was moving away, is he nervous about living alone?

瑪吉:我不知道他要搬走了,他對獨自生活感到緊張嗎?


Peter: Not at all! He is full of beans, he can’t wait to have his own apartment and do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. His parents are very strict so he is looking forward to the freedom.

彼得:一點也不!他精力充沛,他迫不及待地想擁有自己的公寓,想做什麼就做什麼。他的父母很嚴厲,所以他很期待自由。


Maggie: I hope it all works out for him! – I’m sure it will, he’s a very bright, young man.

麥琪:我希望這一切對他都能奏效!–我相信會的,他是個非常聰明的年輕人。


13. A Piece of cake

13.小菜一碟

this describes something that is really easy to do or takes very little effort.

這描述了一些真正容易做或只需很少努力的事情。


The exam was a piece of cake. I knew all the answers, I was finished within half an hour.

這次考試是小菜一碟。我知道所有的答案,我在半小時內就完成了。


Let’s cook this chicken dish for dinner. The recipe is so easy it will be a piece of cake and it will taste delicious!

我們把這道雞肉菜做晚飯吧。菜譜很簡單,就是一塊蛋糕,味道很好!


Mary: Would you mind helping me pack and move my stuff to the new apartment?

瑪麗:你介意幫我收拾行李,把東西搬到新公寓嗎?


John: Of course not!

約翰:當然不!


Mary: Are you sure? I have a lot of big furniture and delicate crockery.

瑪麗:你確定嗎?我有很多大傢俱和精緻的陶器。


John: I’m positive, it will be a piece of cake if the two of us do it together. We’ll have everything packed and moved by the end of the week.

約翰:我是肯定的,如果我們兩個一起做,那將是小菜一碟。我們將在本週末前把所有東西打包並搬走。


Mary: Thank you so much, you are a lifesaver!

瑪麗:非常感謝你,你是救命恩人!


John: Don’t mention it, I’m happy to help!

約翰:別客氣,我很樂意幫忙!


14. Spill the beans

14.說漏嘴

this idiom is used when somebody tells a secret that they shouldn’t have.

這個成語是用來告訴別人不該有的祕密。


Spill the beans, how did you know the answer to the mathematics question?

說吧,你怎麼知道數學問題的答案?


They spilled the beans last night to their family and friends. They are quitting their jobs and travelling around the world for a year. They kept it a secret for months.

昨晚他們把祕密泄露給家人和朋友。他們辭掉工作,周遊世界一年。他們把它保密了幾個月。


Ella: This brown bread is amazing!

埃拉:這個棕色麪包太棒了!


Evelyn: Thank you, I made it.

伊芙琳:謝謝,我做到了。


Ella: Really? I’m very impressed, I would love to try bake it at home. Can I have the recipe?

埃拉:真的嗎?我很感動,我很想在家裏烤。我可以要一份食譜?


Evelyn: I’m sorry but it’s a family recipe, I’m not allowed to tell anyone outside of the family, the secret recipe.

伊芙琳:對不起,這是一個家庭食譜,我不允許告訴家庭以外的任何人這個祕密食譜。


Ella: You wouldn’t spill the beans to your closest friend, would you? I promise I’ll keep the recipe a secret.

埃拉:你不願意把祕密透露給你最親密的朋友?我保證我會保守配方的祕密。


Evelyn: I wish I could but I can’t, it’s a secret that’s been in the family for generations.

伊芙琳:我希望我能,但我不能,這是一個家族世世代代的祕密。


Ella: OK, I understand.

埃拉:好吧,我明白。


15. Take with a pinch of salt

15.將信將疑

this idiom is used when somebody is skeptical about something or someone.

這個成語是當某人對某事物或某人持懷疑態度時使用的。


Detectives have to be skeptical and suspicious when interviewing suspects. They have to take everything being said with a pinch of salt.

在採訪嫌疑犯時,偵探必須持懷疑態度和懷疑態度。他們必須用一小撮鹽來處理所說的一切。


The statistics in the report need to be interpreted with a pinch of salt as they don’t include all the factors.

報告中的統計數據需要懷疑,因爲它們不包括所有的因素。


Natalie: Have you talked to Bruna recently?

娜塔莉:你最近和布魯娜談過嗎?


Vivian: No, I haven’t, have you?

維維安:沒有,我沒有,是嗎?


Natalie: Yeah, I was talking to her yesterday. She told me that she is going to book a one way ticket to Thailand and travel around Asia for six months.

娜塔莉:是的,我昨天和她說話了。她告訴我她要訂一張去泰國的單程票,然後在亞洲旅行六個月。


Vivian: Wow, that sounds amazing!

維維安:哇,聽起來太棒了!


Natalie: I don’t believe her though, I always take what she says with a pinch of salt.

娜塔莉:但我不相信她,我總是對她說的話半信半疑。


Vivian: Why?

維維安:爲什麼?


Natalie: I think she exaggerates a lot, I’ve even caught her lying before.

娜塔莉:我覺得她誇大了很多,我以前甚至發現她在說謊。


Vivian: I know what you mean, I have had to question what she has said in the past, before.

維維安:我知道你的意思,我不得不質疑她以前說過什麼。


16. Butter up

16.巴結討好

this idiom is used when somebody flatters somebody else, usually because they want something from them.

“奉承”這個成語是用來指別人奉承別人,通常是因爲他們想從別人那裏得到什麼。


The students wanted to go outside and play in the yard so they tried to butter up their teacher by saying what a great teacher she is and how much they appreciate her.

學生們想到外面的院子裏玩,所以他們想討好他們的老師,說她是一個多麼偉大的老師,他們多麼感激她。


The employer buttered up to the manager as he wanted to be promoted to the new position in work.

老闆奉承經理,因爲他想晉升到新的工作崗位。


Piper: My son tried to butter me up yesterday because he wants to go to the party tonight.

派珀:我兒子昨天想拍我馬屁,因爲他今晚想去參加聚會。


Nora: What did he do to butter you up?

諾拉:他做了什麼來討好你?


Piper: He started complimenting me and offered to cook dinner for the rest of the family. I told him he could cook dinner but that he still wasn’t going to the party.

派珀:他開始恭維我,並主動爲家裏其他人做晚餐。我告訴他可以做飯,但他還是不去參加聚會。


Nora: How do you know he wasn’t trying to do something nice for you?

諾拉:你怎麼知道他不想爲你做點好事?


Piper: I know because he hates cooking and he really wanted to go to this party tonight.

派珀:我知道,因爲他討厭做飯,他真的很想今晚去參加這個聚會。


Nora: Poor Andrew, why isn’t he allowed to go to the party?

諾拉:可憐的安德魯,爲什麼不允許他去參加聚會?


Piper: He’s grounded because he missed his curfew last weekend.

派珀:他被禁足是因爲他錯過了上週末的宵禁。


Nora: I understand, at least you weren’t persuaded by his flattery.

諾拉:我明白,至少你沒有被他的奉承所說服。


Piper: He should know better than to try to butter me up!

派珀:他應該知道,不要試圖給我拍馬屁!