當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 點滴英語天天學第370期:雅思詞彙(230)

點滴英語天天學第370期:雅思詞彙(230)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.41W 次

1. Expression:like a dying duck in a thunderstorm

點滴英語天天學第370期:雅思詞彙(230)

Explanation:Having a look of dejection, resignation, or hopelessness. (驚慌失措的,絕望的,沮喪的)

Example:Don't sit there looking like a dying duck in a thunderstorm—we've got a game to win!

別沮喪絕望地坐在那兒,我們已經贏得了一場比賽。

I wonder what's the matter with Tom because he looks like a dying duck in a thunderstorm.

真不知道湯姆是怎麼啦,他看起來一副要死不活的樣子。

The crowd rushed to the exit like a dying duck in a thunderstorm when the theater caught fire.

當戲院著火時,驚慌失措的羣衆衝向門口。

On hearing the soft footsteps outside her room, she was like a dying duck in a thinderstorm.

一聽到門外有輕輕的腳步聲,她就驚慌失措的。

2. Expression:lip service

Explanation:VerbAl but insincere expression of agreement or support.(空頭的應酬話,嘴巴上說起來好聽的話)

這個短語用來比喻:毫無誠意地對他人做出承諾,只是嘴巴上說說而已。

Example:All of the grand promises the president made in her campaign speeches turned out to be nothing but lip service.

總統在競選演說中所作的所有宏大承諾到頭來都只是些空話。

The local council members pay lip service each year to a renewed plan to tackle homelessness but no one ever expects them to follow through.

地方議會成員每年都口頭上承諾一項解決無家可歸問題的新計劃,但沒有人指望他們會貫徹到底。

You're still there? Don't just pay lip service, do it now.

你還在那裏? 別隻是嘴上說是, 現在給我去買。

Unhappily, he had done no more than pay lip service to their views.

不幸的是,他對他們觀點的支持只是口惠而實不至。

情景對話:

A:I want to quit school and get married to John. He has promised to give me a decent life.

我想退學和約翰結婚了,他答應給我一個體面的生活。

B:Don’t listen to him. He is only pay you lip service. I heard from Mum that he was just fired two days ago.

別聽他的。他只不過是嘴巴上說說而已,我聽媽媽說他兩天前被解僱了。

A:My God! I cannot believe it.

天啊,我簡直不敢相信。