當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 英語突破情景對話 > 關於哈佛大學學院情景對話

關於哈佛大學學院情景對話

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.62W 次

哈佛大學,簡稱哈佛。坐落於美國馬薩諸塞州劍橋市,是一所享譽世界的私立研究型大學,是著名的常春藤盟校成員,被公認爲是當今世界最頂尖的高等教育機構之一。下面本站小編爲大家帶來關於哈佛大學學院情景對話,歡迎大家學習!

關於哈佛大學學院情景對話

 哈佛大學學院情景對話:哈佛法學院

Han Meimei is watching the movie “Liar” on TV when there is a knock at the door.

H: Hey, John, why are you here?

呀,約翰,你怎麼來了?

J: I just went to my uncle’s and stop by. You’re watching TV?

我剛去我叔叔家,順便就過來看下你。你在看電視嗎?

H: Yeah, a movie called Liar. I like Jim Carrey. He’s so funny.

是啊,看電影《大話王》。我喜歡金·凱瑞,他很搞笑。

J: A little nonsensica.

有點無厘頭吧。

H: I'm surprised that lawyers have such a bad reputation in America.

我很吃驚,律師在美國的名聲很差哦!

J: It’s true that people don’t like lawyers, but they can’t live without lawyers.

這是寘的,大家都不喜歡律師,但是又離不開他們。

H: Just like the rich people in the movie, they can buy freedom with money.

就像電影裏說的,有錢人魷能用錢買自由。

J: Do yowant to be a lawyer any more after watching the movie on TV?

看了這電影之後你還想當一名律師嗎?

H: Well, this career is indeed profitable. As you said, people need lawyers all the time. But now, I have another goal.

嗯,這樣的職業確實很賺錢啦。正如你說的,大家一直都需要律師的。但現在我有另一個 目標。

J: What’s it?

什麼目標?

H: You must promise not to laugh at me first. Cross your heart.

你要保證你不笑話我哦。你發誓!

J: Ok, I cross it.

好,我發誓。

H: If I stay in America, Fm determined to fight for the rights of Chinese who don’t know American laws. I don’t want to be a liar and a slave to money, who grind those poor people beneath his or her heel.

H:如果我留在美國,我決心要爲不懂美國法律的中國人爭取權益。我不要成爲一個 說謊的人,也不要成爲金錢的奴隸,把窮人踩在自己的腳底下。

J: Salute!

J:向你致敬!

H: John, don't forget what you promised.

約翰,不要忘了你的保證哦!

J: I did it from the heart.

我是發自內心的!

H: But first I have to go to a law school. Is it too early to say this?

但苜先我要能考上法學院。現在說這個是否有點太早啦?

J: No, only a person with a dream can go far.

不會,一個人要有夢想才能走得遠。

H: Right. But easier said than done. The admittance rate of Harvard Law School is only about 7%.

對!但說的比做的輕鬆。哈佛法學院錄取率只有7%。

J: I have confidence in you. You can make it. Anyway, you must give it a shot before

you know you can do it or not. It never will rain roses.

我對你有信心,你能做到的。不管怎樣你都要先試一試才知道行不行。想不勞而 獲也是不可能的。

H: Application is difficult, but study at the Law School is more Socratic teaching method daunts me.

申請很困難,而在法學院學習則更吃力。我被蘇格拉底教學法嚇到了。

J: What’s so horrible about it?

爲什麼這麼恐怖呀?

H: Law School professors love debating with students. Every semester, each student must have at least one or two heated debates with each professor who teaches them. The debate sometime lasts for over ten minutes.

法學院教授都愛與學生辯論。每學期每個學生至少要與教他們的每一個教授進行 1?2次的激烈辯論,有的還長達10分鐘以上。

J: As long as you,re prepared, you don’t have to worry too much.

只要你準備充分,就不用太擔心。

H: I’m worried about my English. After all, Fm not a native speaker.

我很擔心我的英語啊,畢竟我的母語不是英語。

J: Your English is pretty good now. Irm sure you’ll have a good command of English after staying in America for some time.

你的英語已經很好啦,我相信你在美國學習一段時間後一定會很精通英語的。

H: I believe so. Where there is will, there is a way.

我相信是,有志者事竟成嘛!

J: By the way, how much do you know about Harvard Law School?

對了,你對哈佛法學院的瞭解有多少?

H: Are you testing me? Don’t underestimate me, I,ve been collecting information about Law School.

你在考我嗎?別小看我哦,我已經收集了很多關於它的信息。

J: Tell me something I don’t know.

那講些我不知道的結我聽聽。

H: Do you know how many current Supreme Court justices are Harvard Law School graduates?

你知道現在有多少最高法院的法官是哈佛法學院的畢業生嗎?

J: You got me. How many?

還真被你問住了,有多少?

H: Six. Isn’t it amazing? You know, there5re only nine justices in Supreme Court in total!

6個!驚訝吧?伯^知道嗎,最高法院的法官總共才9個。

J: The Law School deserves its high reputation.

法學院真是名不虛傳啊。

H: And a quarter of all Supreme Court clerks in the last five years come from Harvard Law School.

在過去的5年裏,最高法院有1/4的司法人員都來自於哈佛法學院。

J: Incredible.

哇,難以置信!

H: Maybe I can be a member of the Supreme Court if everything goes well.

如果一切順利的話,說不定我以後能成爲最高法院的一員呢。

J: President Obama also graduated from Harvard Law School.

奧巴馬總統也是哈佛法學院畢業的。

H: I know. The blacks had their turn, now it’s women’s turn. I want to do something for women.

我知道,黑人早已經翻身掌權,現在輪到女同胞了。我一定要爲女同胞們做點事。

J: Oh, My! You’re so ambitious.

噢,上帝!你還真有雄心壯志。

H: I prefer to believe that’s a compliment,

我寧願相信這是一句讚美的話。

J: It is. Cross my heart.

是啊,我發誓。

  哈佛大學學院情景對話:哈佛學院

Han Meimei and John meet on Monday. They are now talking about their future major.

J: Han, Which major do you plan to choose?

J:韓,打算選什麼專業啊?

H: I haven’t think about this question.

H:我還設想過這個問題。

J: Jesus! Don’t you worry about or even think about you future?

J:天啊,你從來沒想過或擔心過你的前途嗎?

H: Yes,I do. I just don’t want to ask for trouble so early.

H:是的,我只是不想這麼早就自尋煩惱。

J: Too early? Han, it's your second year in high school!

J:太早?梅梅,你現在已經是高二了!

H: So what? Give me a break. Don’t laugh at me.

H:那又怎樣?得了,別取笑我了。

J: Don’t get angry. I was just kidding, to test your knowledge of Harvard University.

J:別生氣,我只是開開玩笑,想試下你對哈佛大學的瞭解程度。

H: Did it sound like a joke?

H:這像開玩笑嗎?

J: I apologize. But you have to confess that you don’t know Harvard at all.

J:我道歉,但是你不得不承認你對哈佛大學一無所知。

H: Not again. Does it have anything to do with Harvard?

H:又來了。這與哈佛大學有什麼關係嗎?

J: Yeah, of course it does. Aren’t you going to Harvard after graduation?

J:當然有關係了,你畢業後不是想去哈佛大學嗎?

H: Sure.

H:是啊。

J: So you’re right not to think too much about your major too early.

J:因此你不想太早過多地考慮專業選擇的問題是對的。

H: Don’t fool me. You know how important a major is? You know what a major mean? To a large extent,it'll determine your future life,.

H:別笑我了,你知道專業有多重要嗎?你知道專業意味着什 麼嗎?在很大程度上,專業會決定你未來的生活。

J: That’s right. A lot of students go to college because they believe that a good college or a

good major will help them find a good job in the future.

J:很對。很多學生認爲上個好大學或者選擇_個好專業會幫 他們在未來找個好工作。

H: Is it wrong to think so?

H:那麼這麼想,錯了嗎?

J: No. I said everyone has their own values. But to me, a good higher education aims to

educate well-rounded individuals.

J:不是的,每個人都有自己的價值觀,但是對我來說,一個好的高等教育的目標是要培育全面發展的人。

H: Aren’t we?

H:難道我們不是?

J: If you aim at pursuing a certain occupational target, then you’re not well-rounded.

J:如果你的目標是從事某一種職業,那麼你就不是很全面了。

H: Make sense. I have so many interests and I don’t want to give up any of them. As a result, I can’t decide on my major.

H:有道理,我有許多興趣,我不想放棄任何一個,所以我還設決定我要選什麼專業。

J: Don’t worry. The freshmen don’t choose a major at Harvard College. They are only

required to take Expository Writing, and may enroll any courses in which they are interested.

J:別擔心,哈佛學院的新生不用選擇專業。他們只要求新生學習說明文寫作,學生 可以根據自己的喜好選擇所要學習的課程。

H: That’s great!

H:那太好了 !

J: Besides, you can even change your major.

J:另外,你還可以換專業。

H: Couldn’t imagine that.

H:真是難以想象啊!

J: Harvard College offers us a liberal education. You do have a major, but it’s not so important as you thought, especially when you plan to go to graduate school.

J:哈佛學院提供了一個自由的教育環境,你可以選擇一個專業,但是專業設有你想 象中的那麼重要,特別是如果你打算繼續研究生學習的話。

H: Unbelievable.

H:難以置信。

J: The good graduate schools want flexible, adaptable minds, minds exposed to a broad

range of knowledge and trained in rigorous critical thinking.

J:好的研究生院是希望學生有靈活和適應性強的頭腦,能夠掌握全面的知識,擁有 良好的邏輯思考能力。

H: So I don’t have to get a bachelor degree m pre-law if I want to go to the Law School.

H:那就是說,如果我想進入法學院,我可以不用先拿到法學預科學位。

J: Yes.

J:是的。

H: Really? (Han Meimei lets out a sigh of relief). To be honest, I've been torn between American literature and law. Vm interested in literature, but I want to be a lawyer.

H:真的?(韓梅梅舒了一口氣)說真的,我正在爲選擇美國文學,還是選擇法律而 左右爲難呢。我喜歡文學,但是我又想成爲一名律師。

J: You can major in literature first, and go to Law School for further education, like me.

J:你可以先選擇文學專業,然後進人法學院讀研究生,就像我一樣。

H: You?

H:你?

J: I’m going to study physics and then go to Business School.

J:我會先學習物理,然後去讀商學院。

H: Good idea!

H:好主意!

J: No matter how many your interests have, Harvard College will fulfill most of them. In addition to the major field of concentration, you can choose a secondary field which need not be related to the primary field.

J:無論有多少興趣愛好,哈佛大學都能滿足彳爾所有的需求。除了一個主攻學習專 業以外,你可以選擇第二專業,但是這個第二專業無需和主攻專業相關。

H: We can choose as we wish.

H:我們可以根據自己的意願來選擇。

J: But we have to meet the minimal demand for a bachelor degree.

J:但我們需要達到學士學位的最低要求。

H: I like this kind of education. It treats students as humans rather than tools prepared for future walks.

H:我喜歡這樣的教育方式,它把學生當成真正的人來培養,而不是把學生訓練成未 來工作所需要的工具。

哈佛大學學院情景對話:哈佛肯尼迪學院

Han Meimei and John are reading magazines in the periodical reading room.

H: Look, you Americans has conceived of a new method to deal with its relations with other countries.

H:你看,美國想出了一種新方式去處理與其他國家的關係呢。

J: Is it soft power?

J:是軟實力嗎?

H: No, ifs smart power.

H:不,是巧實力。

J: Whafs that?

J:那是什麼呢?

H: Here it reads that “smart power is the ability to combine hard and soft power into a wining strategy”,It’s defined by Joseph Nye. But I don’t see much difference from it. Its aim is still to maintain its super power position.

H:這裏所說的“巧實力”其實就是硬實力和軟實力的結含,軟硬兼施,從而達到不 戰而勝。這是約瑟夫?柰所下的定義。但是我覺得沒什麼實質上的區別,因爲它 的目的仍然是維持其超級霸主的地位。

J: We don’t talk about politics and diplomacy, ok? It’s too sensitive. But I can tell you something about Joseph Nye.

J:我們不討論政治和外交好嗎?因爲這太敏感了。但對於這個約瑟夫?奈,我倒可 以說一些他的事給

H: Who’s this guy?

H:他是誰呢?

J: What Iwanttotalkaboutis not Nye himself, but Harvard Kennedy School from which he graduated. Or you can call it Kennedy School of Government.

J:我想說的不是奈本人,而是他畢業的那所肯尼迪政府學院。

H: I know it. It’s also a very famous graduate school at Harvard, training up its students to become outstanding civil servants, politicians, and statesmen.

H:我知道。這也是一個非常著名的哈佛大學研究生 院,培養學生成爲優秀的公務員、政客和政治家。

J: This school is relative young compared with other Harvard schools. It only has a history of about 70 years.

J:如果與其他學院相比,這所學院是一個相對比較 新的學院,它只有約70年的歷史。

H: Really? That’s pretty young. Why did such an idea as founding a government school popped into its founder’s mind?

H:真的嗎?那真的是相當的新。爲什麼突然想到去 成立一所政府學校呢?

J: At that time, the United States was in Great Depression and was on the verge of going into WWII. There seemed to be a lack of excellent talents in government.

J:當時美國在大蕭條和第二次世界大戰的邊緣,政府似乎缺乏優秀的人才。

H: That was a dark period in American history. A lot of people were out of work, and lived a miserable life. People nearly lost confidence in government.

H:這是美國曆史上黑暗的時期。很多人失去工作,並過着悲慘的生活。人們幾乎失 去了政府的信心。

J: Therefore, a Harvard alumnus called Lucius N. Littauer donated some money to Harvard to found a new school which would train talents for the government.

J:因此,一位叫盧休斯?立陶爾哈佛校友綰哈佛捐了一些錢,建立了一所新的學校, 爲政府焙養人才。

H: The benefactor was Littauer? I thought his name was Kennedy, because schools are often named after their benefactor, like Harvard University after John Harvard, and Widener Library after Harry Elkins Widener,

H:所以捐助者是立陶爾?我以爲是肯尼迪呢,因爲學校通常是他們的捐助者的名 字命名的,如哈佛大學是以約翰?哈佛;懷德納圖書館是以哈利?埃爾金斯?威德 而是他所畢業的那所哈佛肯尼迪學校,或者你可以叫做肯納?命名的。

J: I’ve no idea. I just know that there is center named after him, tha Littauer Center.

j:這我就不清楚了。我只知道有個中心是以他命名的,立陶爾中心。

H; Then why is it called Kennedy School? Does Kennedy here represent John Kennedy?

H:那麼爲什麼叫肯尼迪學院?這裏的肯尼迪是約翰?肯尼迪嗎?

J: Yes, actually its full name is John F. Kennedy School of Government.

J:是的,實際上學院的全名是約翰?肯尼迪政府學院。

H: Did he make great contribution to the school?

H:他對這所學校有很大貢獻呢?

J: Not really, but he made great contribution to the country.

J:也不盡然。其實他是對國家有更大的貢獻。

H: His compassion for the blacks incurred anger from the white extremists and he was assassinated by one of them.

H:他對黑人的同情引發了白人極端分子的憤怒,而他也是被其中的分子所暗殺的。

J: You’re very familiar with American history.

J:看起來你非常瞭解美國曆史呢。

H; I took a world history class.

H:我之前上過世界歷史課呢。

J: Maybe Kennedy School want it students to remember Kennedy’s spirit and be good government officials.

J:也許是肯尼迪學院想要他們的學生記住肯尼迪的精神和要成爲一名好的政府官員。

H: I heard that the School not only trains up talents for American government, but helps other nations train their government talents.

H:我聽說這個學院不僅爲美國政府培育人才,也幫助其他國家培訓人才呢。

J: There have been tens of thousands of foreign students from more than 130 countries in the School.

J:有來自超過130個國家成千上萬的外國學生在這個學院呢。

H: I’m not talking about students. There was an agreement between Chinese government and US government that from 2002 to 2007,the School must train 60 officials for Chinese central and local governments.

H:我不是指一般的學生,中國政府和美國政府之間有一個協議,在2002年到2007 年間,學院要培養60名中國的中央和地方官員。

J: I don’t know. But I hope such cooperation can last as long as possible.

J:這我倒不清楚,不過我希望這樣的含作能長久下去。

H: So do I. If only there were no great conflicts which would threaten the peaceful relations among countries.

H:我也是這麼想的。希望以後沒有太大的衝突影響各國家間的和平共處。