當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 英語突破情景對話 > 哈佛大學學院情景對話:哈佛深紅報

哈佛大學學院情景對話:哈佛深紅報

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.13W 次

哈佛大學,簡稱哈佛。坐落於美國馬薩諸塞州劍橋市,是一所享譽世界的私立研究型大學,是著名的常春藤盟校成員,被公認爲是當今世界最頂尖的高等教育機構之一。下面本站小編爲大家帶來關於哈佛大學校園生活情景對話,歡迎大家學習!

哈佛大學學院情景對話:哈佛深紅報

 哈佛大學校園生活情景對話:哈佛深紅報

John is reading the newspaper before class.

H: Han Meimei J: John

H: Hey, John, what are you reading?

H:嗨,約翰,你在看什麼?

J: The Harvard Crimson.

J:在看《哈佛深紅報》。

H: Is it a newspaper published by Harvard University?

H:這是哈佛大學出版的嗎?

J: Not exactly, it’s published by Harvard Crimson, Inc.

J:不完全是,是哈佛深紅公司出版的。

H: Is there a difference?

H:不是一樣的嗎?

J: The company is independent of the university.

J:哈佛深紅公司是獨立於哈佛大學的。

H: I got it. A lot of universities have their own presses, and the presses have their own staff, and make their own money.

H:我知道了。很多大學有自己的出版社,出版社有自己的員工爲自己賺錢。

J: Right. But this one is out of the ordinary. It’s non-profit, and its staff is all undergrads from Harvard College.

J:對,但是這是一個例外。它是非盈利的,而且裏面的員工都是哈佛學院的學生。

H: Really? Did I hear it wrong?

H:真的?我沒有聽錯吧?

J : The newspaper is absolutely run by the Harvard College undergraduate students.

J:報刊完全是由哈佛學院的本科生管理的。

H: Amazing! Enough to make a cat speak!

H:哇,真是令入驚訝

J: Don’t appear like Columbus having discovered the New Continent.

J:別一副哥倫布發現新大陸的樣子。

H: But I’m really quite shocked. It may be common for students to establish a newspaper. I’ve never heard such a thing as a newspaper run by undergrads can develop into a corporation.

H:但是我真的很驚訝。學生創建一個報刊也許很平常,但我從來沒聽說過由大學生 管理的報社能夠成爲一家公司。

J: It's no surprise that you’re so surprised. Few college newspapers in America have their own printing presses, and The Crimson is one of the few.

J:你這麼驚訝也不奮怪。因爲在美國,幾乎沒有什麼大學報刊有自己的印刷設備, 哈佛大學深紅就是少有的一家。

H: You should have told me that earlier. You made me look like a mug.

H:你應該早點告訴我,弄得我像個傻子一樣。

J: Sorry, no offense at all.

J:不好意思,我不是故意的。

H: So the newspaper is nan-profitable, and independent of the university. Am I right?

H:所以說報社是不盈利的,並且獨立於大學,對嗎?

J: Yes, all decisions on the content and day-to-day operations of the newspaper are made by undergraduates, having nothing to do with the university administration.

J:對,報刊的內容和日常管理都是由學生自己決定的,與大學的行政管理設有任何關係

H: Harvard students are, how can I put it, geniuses, given the size of the newspaper.

H:這些學生簡直是,怎麼說呢,是天才,考慮到報紙的規模。

J: It is one of the first-class universities in the world. You know, a good university is what it is because its students are outstanding.

J:哈佛是世界上最好的大學之一。你也知道,學校好是因爲它的學生很優秀。

H: Right. What the newspaper is about?

H:對,報刊有些什麼內客啊?

J: It covers everything, from student activities to arts, anything you can think of.

J:它覆蓋了所有東西,從學生的活動到藝術,任何你能想到的都有。

H: It sure is big.

H:還真是包羅萬象啊。

J: Although it’s all-inclusive,it has adhered to journalistic integrity.

J:儘管它包羅萬象,但它仍然保持新聞的完整性。

H: That deserves respect. How often does it come out?

H:那是值得尊重的,那多久出一期啊?

J: One day. It’s daily newspaper, and is the only daily newspaper in our city. It comes out every morning.

J:—天一期,是我市唯一的日報,每天早上出。

H: Does it have enough staff, or students to report the news?

H:有足夠的員工或者是學生報道新聞嗎?

J: I guess so. And I believe that as long as you become one of them, you can become an editor soon,

J:我想有,而且我相信如果你成爲其中一員,你會很快成爲一個編輯。

H: An editor? Can I?

H:編輯?我可以嗎?

J: Yes, you can do it.

J:你可以的。

H: Not again! I read from your face that you’re trying to make a monkey out of me.

H:少來,你出我洋相吧。

J: Whoops! You saw me through.

J:哎喲,被你看穿了。

H: It’s so transparent. Tell me what’s going on.

H:太明顯了。那是怎麼一回事啊。

J: It’s quite easy to be an editor of The Crimson. As long as you complete a series of requirements known as the “comp", you can be “elected” an “editor” of the newspaper.

J:成爲深紅的編輯是很容易的。只要你能夠完成"comp"提出的一系列要求,你就 能成爲報刊的編輯。

H: Too good to be true.

H:這讓人難以置信!

J: Trust me. All staff members of The Crimson, including writers, photographers, and graphic designers, are technically “editors”.

J:相信我,深紅裏面所有的員工,包括作者,攝影師和圖像設計師技術上都是編輯。

H: That’s a little cheap.

H:有點虛僞。

J: Don’t look down upon it. Many editors turned out to be Pulitzer Prize-winners, and even Presidents, for example President Franklin D. Roosevelt and President John F. Kennedy.

J:不要小看啊,有許多編輯後來獲得了普利策獎,甚至成爲總統,比如說富蘭克林?羅 斯福總統和約翰?肯尼迪總統。

H: Impressive. Anyway, “editor” wins more respect Another question I’ve been meaning to ask you, why is the newspaper called The Crimson? Is it because crimson is Harvard's color?

H:真讓人印象深刻。無論如何,編輯會贏得更多尊重。我還想問你一個問題,爲什 麼報刊名爲深紅?是因爲哈佛的顏色是深紅色嗎?

J: Bingo!

J: 對啦!