迷你對話學地道口語第975期:落井下石
第一, 迷你對話
A: We can just leave it to John.
我們可以把問題留給約翰,讓他去解決。
B: I should say that your decision is wrong. We must see it through ourselves.
我應該說你的決定是錯誤的,我們應當把事情做到底。
A: I cannot understand why you are so nice to him.
我不明白你爲何對他這麼好。
B: Though I dislike him, I won’t Hit him when he is down.
雖然我不喜歡他,但是我不會在他有難的時候,落井下石。
第二, 地道表達
hit sb. when he is down
1. 解詞釋義
Hit sb. when he is down從字面意思來看是“乘某人危機時打擊他”,就相當於漢語中的“落井下石”。
2. 拓展範例
e.g. I don't want to ask him for the money he owes me because he's still out of work, and you can't hit a man when he's down.
我不想向他討回他所欠你的錢,因爲他仍在失業,所以我不能落井下石。
e.g. To dismiss John from his job when his wife has just left him would be hitting a man when he is down.
約翰的妻子剛剛離開他,現在又要解僱他,簡直是落井下石。
第三, 咬文嚼字
see something through:把某事做到底
e.g. He is good at initiating projects but rarely sees them through.
他頗能提方案,但幹什麼事情都很少堅持到底。
e.g. When I think something is right, I will see it through.
若我認爲某件事是對的,我會堅持到底。