當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語練習小對話 > 英語口語練習小對話 第878期:走漏風聲;泄露機密

英語口語練習小對話 第878期:走漏風聲;泄露機密

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.63W 次

第一, 迷你對話

英語口語練習小對話 第878期:走漏風聲;泄露機密

A: You really want to tell her all the things Jack has done? I think you have to handle the situation with kid gloves.

你真想告訴她傑克的所作所爲嗎?我認爲你最好三思而後行。

B: I know how to put her in the picture about what is going on.

我知道怎麼把話題引出來。

A : But do you think she could endure it if you let the cat out of the bag.

但是你覺得你告訴她真相,她受得了嗎?

B: It is certainly too much for her to bear, but I’ll put out a feeler before I move on.

她肯定受不了的,我想試試看她反應如何。

cat out of the bag

1. 解詞釋義

Cat out of the bag的字面意思是“袋子裏的貓”,比喻爲“祕密”的意思。它通常和let連用,即:let the cat out of the bag。Let the cat out of the bag的字面意思是“讓貓從袋子裏跑出來了”,比喻爲“說走嘴了而泄露祕密”“走漏風聲”“泄漏隱祕的消息”等等意思。

2. 拓展範例

e.g. I've let the cat out of the bag already, Mr. Li, and I might as well tell the whole thing now.

我已經無意中泄露了祕密,李先生,乾脆現在就把全部情況都告訴你。

e.g. I wanted mother's present to be a secret, but my sister let the cat out of the bag.

給母親的禮物我原想保密,可是妹妹卻露了馬腳。

e.g. The criminal was hiding away from the police, but a small boy let the cat out of the bag when he told the police that there was a man in the house.

罪犯正躲避警方的搜查,但一位小男孩泄漏了祕密,他告訴警方屋裏有一個男人。

e.g. That is too bad. I am wondering who let the cat out of the bag. A correspondent has discovered that we are planning a merger with the XYZ Company.

真糟糕,我在想是誰把祕密已經泄漏啦。我們打算與xyz公司合併的計劃已經被一個記者探聽到了。

1. with kid gloves:謹慎小心地,巧妙靈活地;審慎周到地

e.g. Well, that was war, and only fools thought it could be waged with kid gloves on.

嘿,戰爭就是這樣,只有傻瓜纔會以爲打起仗來還能那麼溫良恭讓呢。

e.g. He gets angry ever easily; you must handle him with kid gloves.

他動輒發脾氣,你要小心地對付他。

e.g. In presidential campaigns, foreign policy is treated with kid gloves.

在總統競選活動中,外交政策問題會被小心對待。

e.g. Some artists have to be handled with kid gloves.

和有些藝術家打交道時要謹慎。

2. put someone in the picture about something:讓某人瞭解某事的具體情況

e.g. Members of Parliament insisted on being put in the picture about the government's plans.

議員堅持要充分了解政府計畫的詳情。

e.g. Can you put me in the picture about the World Cup Football Match?

你能給我講講關於世界盃足球賽的狀況嗎?

e.g. He's is away for several week, and we'd better put him in the picture about her daughter’s death at once.

他已經離開幾星期了,我們最好立即把他女兒死亡的情況告訴他。

3. go on:進行,發生

e.g. While this conversation was going on, I was listening with earnest attention.

這場對話進行的時候,我聚精會神地聽着。

e.g. I don't know what's going on.

我不知道發生了什麼事。

4. put out a feeler:(用言語和行動)試探某人的反應,提示試探性意見

e.g. After five minutes like this, Li Yu-ting could hold out no longer, and decided to put out a feeler.

大約五分鐘過去了,李玉亭再也捱不下,決定先說幾句試探的話。

e.g. The chairman put out a feeler to see people's remarks to his election speech.

主席謹慎地試探人們對他的競選演說的評論。

e.g. Will you give your friends a buzz and put out a feeler to see if they like to offer me a loan?

A:給你的朋友打個電話,問問他們能不能給我貸點款好嗎?

5. move on:(結束某活動後) 改做別事

e.g. I'm trying to move on to a new job and stretch myself with something different.

我正想換工作,想嘗試點不一樣的事情來挑戰一下自己。

e.g. She ran this shop for ten years before deciding to move on to fresh challenges.

在決定涉足新的領域時,她經營這家商店已有10年。

e.g. His mother, Julia, soon moved on to a new relationship.

他媽媽朱莉婭很快又開始了一段新戀情。

e.g. Now, can we move on and discuss the vital business of the day.

現在,我們接着往下討論今天的重要事宜。

第一,詞彙精講

1. endure :忍受;容忍

e.g. I can't endure that woman.我對那個女人忍無可忍。

e.g. I can't endure to see/seeing children suffer. 看着兒童受苦, 我可受不了。

2. bear:忍受; 忍耐; 承受

e.g. The pain was almost more than he could bear. 這樣的痛苦幾乎使他受不了。

e.g. He can't bear to be laughed at/bear being laughed at. 他禁不住拿他取笑。

第二,詞義辨析

endure與bear的區別

1. Endure是指經受長期的艱難、困苦或折磨而不屈服,強調持久力和意志堅強。要特別注意“長期”二字。例如:

He endured three years in prison for his religious beliefs.他因其宗教信仰而忍受繫獄三年之苦。

The little boy found it difficult to endure spending his summer holidays with his Uncle.這小男孩覺得難以忍受與他的叔叔在一起度過暑期。

2. Bear側重強調某人的心理或身體承受能力,強調忍受者對痛苦、憂慮、煩惱以及責任的承受力。例如:

The strain must have been enormous but she bore it well.當時的壓力想必很大,但她還是承受下來。

She bore her sorrow without complaint.她毫無怨言地忍受着悲痛。

You really want to tell her all the things Jack has done?

要點解析:這是含有定語從句的複合句。主句是you really want to tell her all the things,從句是Jack has done。先行詞是不定代詞things,表示物,在從句中充當賓語,可選擇的引導詞爲that,但是可以省略。

語義表述:這事情超越她的忍受力。/她無可忍受此事。

口語翻譯:It is too much for her to bear.